Have the birds stopped singing? An estimated 10% of the world’s population has a hearing loss and one in five people between the ages of 40 and 60 have a hearing loss.
As hearing loss often worsens gradually, many people simply aren’t aware of the problem – they attribute their hearing difficulties to other causes and gradually change their lives. Read more about hearing loss and your hearing health in this section.
Who has a hearing loss?
- If you have a hearing loss, you are not alone.
- 10% of the world’s population has a hearing loss.
- 29% of people over 65 have a hearing loss.
- 3 in 10 people over 60 have hearing problems.
- 60% - the majority of people with hearing loss - are male.
- 1 in 6 baby boomers (ages 46-64) have hearing problems.
- 65% of people with hearing loss are below retirement age.